Have you ever wondered who should take Methadone or who shouldn't be taking methadone?
There are many people who are not aware that methadone is not for everyone and some of these people may find that methadone is not for them. It makes no sense for someone who is not addicted to heavy narcotics to start on methadone treatment, as methadone is probably much stronger than the drugs they may be taking.Methadone is a very powerful drug and should not be taken lightly. It isn't a drug to get high from nor is it a drug to be used as a crutch between getting your next high. Yes there are side effects from methadone, but they are much more manageable than the withdrawals or than the addiction you have had.
So you may ask, who is it for then?
- Methadone is for people that have a serious heroin, fentanyl, morphine or opiate addiction.
- Methadone is for people that have life threatening diseases from their addictions.
- Methadone is for people who have tried many times to detox and have been unable to stay drug free.
- Methadone is also for people with chronic pain say from cancer, etc.
- Methadone is for people that must get clean NOW, for some reason such as getting their kids back.
|Flickr Image by Jonathan Silverberg|
The people who shouldn't be taking methadone are:
- People who have not been addicted to heavy amounts of narcotics (such as heroin, fentanyl, morphine and other opiates)
- People who have not been addicted for any length of time
- People who are addicted to tylenol 1& 2's or similar type drugs
- People who have not tried to withdrawal through other detox options
- People who are addicted to cocaine and amphetamine type drugs
Always look into other methods of detox before you make a decision regarding methadone treatment. If you have tried and failed at these other methods, than methadone may be your last option.
Methadone allows you to focus on getting your life back now, so that you can obtain employment, get your children back, obtain housing, go back to school, etc. There are no fears of withdrawal and you take it once per day, as you would any other medication. You no longer have to run around for drugs, steal or worry about your next high. Methadone makes living with addiction much more bearable and allows you to slowly detox at your own rate while repairing your life. If you have any further questions about methadone treatment, please visit www.oatc.ca
Please leave a comment or share your story with us!
Your friends in the maze!
Chix 'n' Stixx
Chix 'n' Stixx
*Disclaimer: Always seek out professional help before taking any advice from people who are not experts. speak to a doctor, specialist or other experts.The advice given in this blog should be used as a guide only and not to be taken as expert advice. We are not experts, this blog is purely based upon our experiences*